Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Faces of Lulwanda

There are really not words for me to express how much I love these kids. This is the place the Lord has been calling me to and preparing me for for the past 10 years. Praise the Father that everyday is a new day of blessings and excitement and love and abundance if we choose to walk in HIS ways!

We are still on holidays from school and this is truly a fun time for me because I have more free time to simply play with the kids. It is hard to describe a typical day here, but here is a brief tour of what might be going on any given day at the home.

TOUR of LCH during the HOLIDAYS

As in any home, housework must be done. So you can imagine with 90 kids there is that much more to be done but also that many more little hands to help.

Whether coming from the garden with a fresh harvest for the days meal...


Or sorting maize so it can dry in the bright equatorial sun.


But of course there is time for being silly. As I was with the kids I hear them saying, "Look Auntie, Moses is a mussei (meaning old man)."


The kids are on a rotation everyday, by grade level as to what activity they will be doing after breakfast. Some color, some mold play dough, some do home activities, and some build with legos--- which the kids have gotten pretty good at.

And just like in every home, there are life lessons that are being taught. Specifically this day some of the P5 girls were learning to make bread.


There is also time for crocheting scarves, bags, and table doilies. SO, please start collecting your crochet needles and yarn that goes on sale at Hobby Lobby because these girls are getting good and there is a great interest, only a lack of supplies.



And since boys don't crochet, what do they do? Well, they love to get their hands dirty and often are helping with the animals. On my tour yesterday (given by 8 of the boys), they showed me where a turkey had laid 3 eggs, fed the cows matoke, found where a kitten was hiding on the other side of the fence, and then they showed me their favorite goat and proceeded to tell me a story of how one of them once sat on a goat and road it like a donkey. Ha. Kids have the funniest stories.




But the kids ALSO love to read, which is great for me, seeing as I am here to help them do that. So about everyday I have a group of kids that practice their reading to me. SO�please save up your children�s and chapter books because the Lord is in the working of bringing us a library here and you can help to donate to it. Just ask me how.







AND of course not a day passes without some sort of singing and dancing. I love how music is the heartbeat of Africa. This particular dance is the "Buganda" traditional dance, where you tie a scarf like thing around your butt and shake your hips like they might fall off. All while moving one step at a time and still shaking.





Overall these kids bring great joy to my heart. How could you not adore faces like these?!?!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are awesome pics Nat...love em!
Ash

cathy said...

What a wonderful peek into the life at LCH. We are so blessed you are at LCH loving on the kids.

Sarah Patrick said...

Natalie! Thanks for all your updates and the new pictures, so beautiful. I just love seeing your day-to-day life and the kids who just make your life so wonderful. I pray your doing well!

Kimo said...

Buganda, huh? I remember seeing that in person! :) Thanks for chatting with my kiddos. They loved it and can't wait to meet you. We're praying for you!