Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Sunday, September 20, 2009

The unordinary common life...

So, I have realized that after 2+ years in Uganda, there are things that have become very common and routine to me that to the outside world are very unordinary. I am sure this list will continue to grow, but here is what I have collected so far...

- sitting at church for 4 hours
- not sitting on public toilet seats but rather hovering
- carrying around your own TP
- customary and polite to greet and shake hands with everyone in the room
- having to herd cattle out of the way as you walk down the road
- walking goats is more common than walking dogs
- dodging potholes in ALL the roads
- having an outfit custom fit and made just for you
- being a millionare (the exchange rate is $1 US = 2000 Uganda shillings)
- men on the roadside peeing with no attempt to be in hiding
- bones and fat are the choice pieces of "meat"
- taking a motorcycle "taxi" into town for only $0.50
- being shouted at, "Mzungu, how are you?" at least 20 times a day
- always being a minority
- hearing the muslim call to prayer
- eating dinner at 9pm
- having little girls bow down when they greet you
- dancing during every song at church
- "Praise the Lord" or "Mukama Yeba Zebwe" being a greeting or attention getter during the beginning of a meeting or a service
- "um" being a reasonable answer to a question (meaning yes)
- taking off your shoes as you enter a house
- bargaining for all items
- daily picking milk from a dairy
- speaking with a British accent
- passing a monkey sitting on a brick wall with school kids trying to feed it candies (down the street)
- having 2 padlocks on the door and 2 guards outside
- candles and matchboxes on every window sill for when the power goes out
- roosters as your alarm clock
- people not saying "bye" as they get off the phone

Those are just a few. I also am making a list of funny phrases used here, so be looking for that.

I hope you are well. I love getting emails, phone calls, and letters to hear how people are doing. It helps me not feel so far away or that I am missing out on people's lives, so please keep me informed on you. And thank you for your continued prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

U interested in my life today?: I went to church, read abit, then ordered take out at Outback steakhouse and had a great steak, garlic potatoes,veggies,and salad for dinner with my mom. Yuko our exchange student made spam sushi rolls which werent that bad. Then I played scrabble online and now im going to watch tv and go to sleep. the emmy's are on but not really interested. g./