Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Saturday, September 12, 2009

From Orphan to Queen

I have been so grateful to be able to really grow and understand a different culture outside of my own.  What I mean is that many times when people do mission trips for a week or so, they get to see some of culture, but really haven’t even seen how things work. 

 

Having lived in Uganda for 2 years now, I have seen and experienced how many things work.  What got me thinking about this is was our Friday fellowship at LCH.  It is a wonderful time that we have as staff and kids all together, where we sing, pray, and someone shares the Word.  Through these fellowships and Sunday services at Church, I have come to my own conclusion that although the Gospel is the same and True everywhere, for every culture, the way it is celebrated and interpreted is different.  I don’t think this is any profound conclusion.  There is a different “Christian culture” in all places.  I am sure Texas churches are different from Northern US churches.  I bet that the culture of TBarM is different from those of Pine Cove or Kanakuk.  Not a new thought, I know.  But the difference in “Christian culture” is even more pronounced when you cross continental borders.

 

I have seen a freedom in worship here in Uganda.  If there is not dancing and “African calling” throughout the music- something is wrong.  And as prayers are lifted up, even down the smallest kids at LCH, there is an intense dependency upon whom they are praying to.  I think this is because here, more so than in the USA, they recognize God as the provider of their DAILY needs.  Like Jesus prayed, “give us this day, our daily bread.”  So many people rely on God’s mercies and provision everyday- rather than having a pantry full of food (which still God has provided but I tend to see less his provision as I look into a full shelf of snacks).

 

Ok, but back to the Friday fellowship at LCH.  Yesterday, Teacher Favor shared about Esther.  She is going chapter by chapter and we read chapter 2.  At first I was excited because it would be a good “review” of the Esther study I finished a few months ago (the one by Beth Moore- I highly recommend it).  But this was nothing what I was expecting to hear.  It was so different but so perfect for the kids and the culture.  She talked about how Esther was an orphan, but she handled what God gave her with fear and trembling.  Chapter 2 of the book of Esther is when the king has just banished is wife and his advisors suggest that he calls of all the young virgins to come to the kingdom, undergo 12 months of beauty treatment, and then the king could choose his next queen. 

 

In the lesson, it was taught how Esther left her uncle that was raising her and went to the kingdom.  She did not say, “Who am I, as only an orphan, to enter the kingdom.  That is for those girls, but not someone like me.”  No, Esther the orphan entered into the kingdom.   And then there were 12 months of preparation and treatment.  She trained herself in new habits and ways.  (Now here is where the Ugandan interpretation of this passage came in).  It didn’t matter if she came from the village where she had never brushed her teeth; here she learned to do it.  She spent time bathing, looking smart, learning good table manners, and cleaning up after herself.  She learned how to listen when someone else was speaking and how to respond when someone was speaking to her.  She didn’t let her background hinder her from her opportunity to be the next queen.  God had opened the door for her to be trained in new ways and have new opportunities.  She didn’t try to look back to where she came from- whether to think that she is not good enough or qualified or to wish to go back to what she had.  God had opened the opportunity for her to be something more, and not just anything- the queen.  But she handled what God gave her with fear and trembling.  She respected it and utilized the opportunity.  And in the end, what happened?  She was chosen to be queen.

 

Teacher Favor then applied this to the kids, telling them that God has brought them to LCH, a new place with new ways and He desires to train them and make them all that they can be- all in preparation for what He has in store for their future.  They could be the next president or MP or administrator of an organization or head master of a school.  It doesn’t matter their background and they should never say, “But this is for “them”.  I am only an orphan.”  But they must be serious and learn and prepare themselves, just as Esther has 12 months of preparation before she entered the king’s room.

 

Wow.  It was beautiful and encouraging and nothing like what Beth Moore chose to point out in her study (at least from the point that the Spirit was teaching me).  God is great and big and cross cultured.  His Word is applicable to all people, in all lands, in all different ways.  I love that!

4 comments:

Kimberrykim said...

Great blog. I liked it. :)

cathy said...

Praise God for Favor. Please tell her I love her!

Thank You for posting this great update and keeping those of us who wish we could be there continually blessed.
Love Cathy M

arg said...

What a powerful interpretation. I love it. THanks for posting it!

Monica said...

I needed the encouragement from this posting! Thank you for living your faith out visibly my sister!