Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Saturday, September 12, 2009

thought

Continued violence and disruption in Kampala and surrounding areas:

The U.S. Mission in Uganda advises U.S. citizens that the violent demonstrations experienced in downtown Kampala and surrounding areas on September 10 are continuing today and possibly through the weekend. The demonstrations stem from political friction between the central government and the authorities of Buganda, a cultural kingdom in central Uganda.

This was an email that I got from my insurance.  They send me emails when health or “political” news happens in Uganda, just to keep me informed.  My first thought- “What?  I don’t understand what this is even about and how the riots are going to accomplish anything.  What about a peaceful demonstration?”  My second thought- “I guess it is good that we didn’t get tickets to see Kirk Franklin in Kampala this weekend.”

But really, what is the cause?  There is a king in the Kampala area.  First off, that is a little weird because you would think a king and a president would equal power struggle, but I guess things have been fairly ok so far.  So the king is of the tribe of the Buganda people group and there is an area that is still in the Buganda district, but this area has named their own king.  I guess it all boils down that the Ugandan government sided with this small king’s people that the Buganda king should get official permission to visit the people of this area.  And that made the Buganda king mad because it is still his district and his people and who should say the king should seek permission for anything.  Well, I guess that is a pretty good summary of the situation. 

So, as the Buganda king’s supporters tried to do decorating preparations (even though permission has not been granted to visit this small area) the opposing area’s people started to fight.  There were protests on the streets, in fact they completely blocked the streets.  So, as the police came, this only made the conflict between the two groups worse.  Tear gas, gun shots, now army men on every corner. 

As I talk with some of my co-workers they said that the people who are rioting on the streets are usually the youth that don’t have jobs or really a good purpose in their lives.  Inevitably, as riots break out, shops begin to be looted by these jobless youth. 

In fact, Glenn was there on Thursday when the riots first started.  He called me and said, “Guess where I am?”  “I don’t know.”  “The Sheraton.”  “Wow, fancy.  Why?” “Well there are gunshots and tear gas just down the hill in the middle of the city so at least this place is a bit secure.  But I am going to try to sneak out the backside of the city to get back to Mbale.”  The conversation went on a bit to explain what was happening and Glenn did make it home safely.  Later that afternoon I talked with one of my friends here who husband was stuck in Kampala.  He was going to catch the bus back to Mbale, when the fighting erupted.  In the middle of it, he got a little tear gas in the eye but was able to find refuge in his friend’s shop before they all locked themselves inside (to keep out violence and thiefs). 

Another friend who works in Kampala said he slept over at a friends house in the city because all the taxi’s to get to the outskirts of town cost 10,000 shillings (about $5 compared to the normal $0.50)

It is times like this that I feel VERY glad that I live in small town Mbale.  Although Kampala is much more westernized- foods, malls, movie theater, mzungus- Mbale is calm and safe. 

It is also times like this that I wonder if these sort of things just happen in 3rd world countries or do they also happen in America?  What does rioting solve?  Everyone desires to have their voice heard, but is this the best way?  Or maybe it is (as an individual) to be part of a greater purpose that is bigger than yourself?  That probably gets to our deeper longing of knowing that we are of value and have a purpose in this world.  But how lost and misdirected the world and its purposes can lead us.  I guess that is why Jesus clearly says, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life…”  It is only in Him that the hearts of man can be settled with significance (instead of seeking it through riots or other avenues).

Just thought I would share my thoughts.  Don’t worry.  Mbale is VERY calm and peaceful.  I hesitate sometime to share things like this in fear that someone might freak out without having the context of where I am in comparison to where the problems are.  So, please don’t worry.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let me know friend if you have started reading "Jesus for President" that I left for you. I would love to know your thoughts when you are finished!

Love ya Nat,
Eddie