Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

thoughts

Oct 23, 2007

Overwhelmingly I say that God is good. I am honestly surprised as to how much God had prepared my heart to be back here. In all honesty, I have been at peace since I left the states and the moment that I stepped out of the airplane in Entebbe I had the feeling, “Ah, I am back at home.” Uganda, as with many places now has become a place I feel comfortable in and able to my myself freely.
On the plane ride from Amsterdam to Entebbe there was a lady across the isle from me who I noticed had her Bible. During my ease dropping, I heard the Ugandan next to her say, “when we all reach heaven we will be remaining with our same people. Each tribe or group will stay together and not be with the others.” This opened the door for her to spend about an hour sharing the gospel and answering some questions. You might wonder why I am recalling this, but there were a few things that I learned from getting to just observe and overhear this conversation.
1) She had great gentleness and kept a casual tone. She was free in asking him questions about what he thought. I realized that if I were in her shoes I would have become too defensively toned. She spoke the truth in love by sticking to the truth but not acting as an enforcer or pusher.
2) There are questions that non-believers have that I never would have thought of. For example, one of the questions the Ugandan asked was, “If God is the Father in heaven, and the Father of everyone, then why are there so many different colors of people?” His reasoning was therefore that there must be a different God to serve each color (race).
3) It was interesting and encouraging to just have the role of praying for her as she shared truth with this man. She had no idea and my heart was blessed by it.

As we were leaving the plane, I said something to her about the conversation that she had. She is in Uganda because her and her church just started and orphanage in Jinja. It sounds much like LCH, so I gave her an open invitation to come and visit if she ever makes it to Mbale. It is very encouraging to know that God has not abandoned the thousands of orphans that live here, but it continually impressing on people’s heart how they can help.

Praise the Lord that all of my luggage arrived and I was greeted with warm hugs and greetings. We spent the next morning shopping in Kampala and then headed for Mbale. As I walked into the compound gate I found the little kids, Shakira, Jonathan, and Nicholas what ran up and hugged me shouting, “Na-talie, Na-talie!”

Today I spent resting, making sure that my body is recuperated from any jet lag and I hear that the kids are very eager to be reunited, as am I. My new room in the house is still in the finishing processes, but it is AWESOME. The way things worked out with extending a room to add a bathroom, the bathroom has turned out HUGE (it is probably bigger than the room I will sleep in and was definitely unexpected). Really, I feel quite spoiled. I have already had a great time getting to be with the girls in my house (Phoebe, Millicent, Nuruh). They have been busy catching me up on the last 3 months of life.

So things are very good here. I will be “shifting” (meaning moving) to my new room in the next couple days. The girls are very excited about this because they plan to visit and hang out there all the time. This is what I hope.

Thank you for your prayers for travel. And thanks for enduring this long note.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy that you made it there safely and have a nice new room. I am positive that you will do a great job with the children and others in your surroundings. I love you very much and think of you daily and proud you are chasing your dream.

Don't know how you managed to get all your luggage in just 3 bags and made the weight limit as we needed a crane to remove them from the car but you did it.

Love you and we will be in touch.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Tears fill my eyes for a few reasons:
1. I miss my best friend already
2. The joy and love in your heart for exactly where the Lord has called you
3. I miss my best friend

I don't know when or how it is going to work, but I will be coming to visit you! It is the desire of my heart and I will do my best, God willing, to come visit :) Only Jesus coming back will stop me ;)

Love, love, love you,
Jacquline

Kimo said...

Rat-

I have been checking your blog daily but hadn't seen anything new. I look tonight...and there are 2 new posts!!! I am glad that all has gone well so far. I know that the traveling part is kind of nerveracking for you. We prayed for you today in class. It's so sweet to hear my munchkins and see them get so excited when I talk about you. We'll/I'll keep praying. Love you!

Kimo

Anonymous said...

We're so glad you made it safely without any complications. We are missing you but thrilled you know what you want in life and go after it without boldness. You will be a blessing in the lives of the children.

The kitchen is shaping up. We will send pictures soon.

Love and kisses, Janece

Unknown said...

Yay! You're there, and happy. That makes ME happy. I agree with Kimo, I was checking regularly, then I realized I'd missed TWO somehow, but happy to read all about your trip, and you arriving safely. : )

(Hi to Janece and Paul too! I was thinking of you the other day. I made pumpkin bread for a halloween party, and thought of Thanksgiving at your house. : ) Good times!)

Miss you SO much, Nat, and I love you! Have been, and will continue to pray for you. Your smiling face is peering at me from a picture on my desk every day. I love it there.

Love you.
~Rebecca

Anonymous said...

Natalie,
We are so glad you arrived safely. Mary and I are praying for your time there. Be sure and tell all we say hi and hope to see them soon. As I spoke to my home church in West Texas on Sunday about LCH, it was awesome how many people want to help the children. God is going to do great things in the coming months through you. Take care and we will be praying for you.

Mike and Mary

Anonymous said...

Nat- WE are so happy you made it and love checking up on you!! Bret and I are praying for you everyday friend...So fun to hear the stories of how much God is using you there and to all of us here!! Love you Nat
Ash

Anonymous said...

Natalie,
I was thrilled today to find your updates!!! Praise the Lord for your safe journey and His many blessings already. I can see the little excited children in my mind
s eye as they anticipated your return and then when you finally arrived. We miss you here, are praying for you. Love from all the Barkers, Cheryl