Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Thursday, October 25, 2007

A sweet welcome... literally

Aw, so fun. Today at break time Edward called me over and on the table was a cake that said, "Natalie welcome to LCH". All the kids were very excited to see that they were going to get some cake today. Then, for the first slice of the cake I had about 20 little hands on top of mine to help me slice the cake with the knife.

I first have to let you know about the cake. It is definitely not like the cakes in America. It is a much more dry and not as sweet. It is made from scratch and they love to put ribbon borders around the edge. Sometimes it has fruit and always a little cinnamon taste.

Secondly, when you have a celebration that calls for cake, there are different traditions here. In America, the guest of honor would be served the first piece and then get to enjoy. But here the guest of honor is the one to serve the cake to everyone. SO, i had a platter and had hundreds of eager hands reaching up to receive a piece and saying, "Auntie, me. Auntie, me." It really warmed my heart. THen I was able to serve cake to the staff. It was truely a special treat.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your the baker in this family show them your stuff!!!!!
Have you adjusted to the time change as yet? Hope so.
Your Granny called wanting to know if you made it there and gave her the details. Also explained to her you have limited internet access and she should start communications via your blog. Get ready as she is going to learn to do it. Pretty good for a 87 year old trying new things.

Love you
Dad

Anonymous said...

In our family, the birthday person is always the one to cut the cake and serve a few pieces before they get theirs. How fun. I have had Ugandan cake. Not so good.
Cheryl

Anonymous said...

If you were cooking in our kitchen this week, you would be doing so without a sink. We are washing dishes outside or in the bathroom sink. Since we don't have a stove, your dad cooked pork roast in the crock pot. It was delicious and definitely a repeat once the kitchen is finished.

Love,

Janece

Anonymous said...

Mmm, I bet I would like Ugandan cake because I love me some cinnamon!!! and little hands reaching towards me ;) I love reading your blog, please continue to write as many stories as possible and as often as possible too! TGIF. But I guess it is almost Saturday for you. WOW. Hope you are having sweet dreams. Have you started teaching again yet? Is everyone excited about all your new phonics supplies? You are in my prayers daily. Post pictures taken with your new camera too when you get a chance. LOVE YOU ~ Jacquline

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie!! Chance has been helping me get things set up so I can communicate with you on your blog. First, your Dad has me 5 yrs. older than I am!!! Now, I am SO VERY glad you made it there safe and sound AND with all your luggage!! After talking with your Dad I was able to report to the church that you were there safe.
I love you. Take care of yourself
Granny

Anonymous said...

Hi, Granny. We are so impressed that you are posting messages to the blog. I am going to show my mother how to do it the next time I see her. We love that Natalie is forcing all of us into the 21st century.

Love,

Janece

Anonymous said...

Ah where have I been???? I swear i was just telling my Aunt how i was wondering what happened since you left...obviously i missed the last month of October...and all the sudden i get on your blog and theres this whole life lived without me knowing about it! sorry but the good news is my 10 year reunion went well and my grandparents Moved back into their house! Oh AND my Aunt got the papers for little Andre and are right now in Moscow as we speak! So now that my life is a bit more stable lets talk...i still havent seen your cell phone number posted but i will check my papers to see if i have the old one....so glad that youre in the center of Gods will for your life! not to mention all your bags arrived safely (which by the way is something i cant say about the key chain that u sent--the letter came all disheveled and looked like it had been through alot- so unfortunate but i appreciated the fancy hand painted card and lovely words...lets talk already! Lord willing ill call soon, gennean (sorry for the length but i had to make up for lost time!)

Anonymous said...

oh And my cousin Jennifer just got engaged! and ill be in Pasadena next week visiting my peeps...