Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A visit to Kenya

Last month I had the opportunity to visit another children's home in Kitale, Kenya (associated with the Church of Christ group).

The journey there was an adventure within itself. Jennifer (my housemate) and I left on a Matatu (a taxi van) around 9am. Having switched matatus 5 times, crossing the border, and wondering if we would ever make it, we finally arrive 6 hours later. The journey normally only takes 3 hours-- so I learned a lesson about public transport and the great patience needed.





One of my favorite memories from the weekend was getting to take some of the girls from the home out into town to get icecream and sodas. They dressed in their Sunday best and held onto our hands as we made our way through town.






























































We stayed at a great guest house (Karibuni Lodge) that served some of the most excellent food that I have had in Africa. We did use pit-latrines and this was a source of amusement every time I would walk in.





I won't claim any credit with this wonderful mural... my housemate, Brooklyn, is awesome and completed 2 murals in 2 weeks. I got to help her to finish with some of the outlining and stripes. It was fun to be artistic.









This is Mt. Elgon. I have never seen it from Mbale, but I saw this beautiful sunset over it from Kitale.

1 comment:

Jacquline said...

Such a fun update with some great photos!!! I think some of your blog is a little mis-matched bc you had the sunset comment over the urinal (which by the way is hilarious... are they really peeing into a can?)

I love you!