Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

White Ants...


I realize that it seems as if you get a lot of updates at one time. Sorry, but the internet is not always faithful or speedy, or the computer is occupied and when I am not teaching. I am looking at the options for internet in my room, but currently it is a bit expensive, so pray for more options or more funds. Maybe the Lord will provide and I can stay more connected.

There is a funny sight to see as the rainy season is really kicking in. I wrote a few weeks ago about the kids making noises at the ground to “call” the white ants (aka huge termites) out. Well, these days the white ants (and rain) are in abundance. Every morning I see people at the side of the road, with sticks, digging in the ground. The funny thing is it is not just the kids searching for these bugs, it is adults and children alike. They have their baggie or their cup.

Once enough have been found or the sun gets to hot to bear, then they will go home, wash them, let them dry and then fry and eat them.

LCH is no exception. Every morning before school the kids are out looking for white ants. The pathways of the school are covered with the wings of these insects and kids are so happy being kids, digging in the dirt, and picking up insects. Plus the reward is great, a “sweet treat” for break time. And yes, even I have eaten some.

3 comments:

Monica said...

Nat...my precious sister!! I often think of you but must admit my life has been so crazy since returning home that I haven't read any of your blogs until this morning...I will be a reader from now on...now you have an open tab when I open my internet, all I have to do is check for a new blog! I do plan on going back to read your past blogs.

Way to go eating the white ants...not sure I could, maybe if the kiddos were urging me, only for them! I love you lots, you are in my prayers!!! :) Monica

Anonymous said...

Nat, did you eat the ants? Throw some ketchup on there and those things might actually be good! Or maybe sprinkle some cheese? I hope that you have tried them...when in Africa...

Praying over your requests Nat...and also for you dear friend. Miss you greatly.

All my love to you,
Eddie

photobugthatsme said...

Hey Natalie, my sweet sister! Sounds like things are hopping in Mbaletown! White Ants? I can't say I'll never try them myself... but I have to admit that they don't "sound" very appetizing... but then again, neither do crawfish... LOL

Sounds like you had a great time at the Falls and the party. :-) And we will keep Annette and Baby Gift in our prayers.

Love you!
Dee