Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Friday, April 11, 2008

THis is my life

It has been a little while since I have written anything, so let me give you a brief update on life. Here are the highlights:
- At church last Sunday we had elections for the youth and I was nominated and voted in to be over the sports activities of the youth. This means (I think) that I make sure that we have all equipment, I plan tournaments on Saturdays with other churches, and generally plan and host fun. I think I can handle that. In all honesty this is an answer to prayers because I have been seeking God as to what my role and involvement should be at the church. I think it is vital to be plugged in and serve (instead of always taking and going) but I have not been sure to what extent. I feel like this is a divine placement because Camp has well prepared me with a storehouse of games and activities in my head and so I can use my “talent/skill” to bless the body. So, please pray with me as I will initially be focusing on building teamwork and drawing youth back into being involved in the youth group (it has somewhat sat still for awhile).
- I went to my second overnight prayer last Friday. They hold these the first Friday of every month and church members come from 8pm on. I arrived at 10:30 and spent an awesome night of praying, singing, hearing teaching, singing, praying, and more singing. I pray that the Lord was blessed by that night and our sacrifice of prayer. I stayed until 4am. It is a good challenge and great refresher to spend such an extended time seeking the face of God and in His presence. He is truly a LIVING GOD.
- Today is day 2 of drilling a well at LCH!! Yes that is right, they are drilling a boar hole (meaning a well that you will manually pump water from). I knew the plans were one the drawing board but things moved very fast (surprisingly) and yesterday I arrived to see 3 huge trucks with serious equipment on them. They started quickly in the morning. Of course all the children were enthralled to see what was happening, but when they started up one of the big trucks to drive it to the exact spot for drilling, a kid named Davis ran away shouting, “I am sorry, I am sorry, please forgive me!” Ha, I don’t know if this kid might have been up to mischief in the morning but he definitely thought his punishment had come. The workers spent the day drilling the hole. I had a few chances to stand by and watch, along with about half of the village kids and old men. It is very interesting. They have one truck that has the drilling machine and one that has a sort of generator/air compressor. When they begin drilling, air blows dirt all around. They drilled 39 meters yesterday. It was a great spiritual picture of “if this is what man can do, how much more can God do?!?” Just as the machine broke though different levels of the earth to get to fresh water, so the Lord breaks through all matters of junk and issues in the heart to bring forth Living Water.
- As awesome as the drilling is, half of my garden is now destroyed because the big truck drove right through the middle of it. HA. Really it is no big deal but kind of amusing.
- End of term is coming in 2 weeks. Then we will have a one month holiday. We are also gearing up for the summer teams to coming. Starting in May, we will have over 15 groups coming to Uganda. It is exciting. Pray as there will be a few people coming to stay at my compound for an extended time. I am very excited about this.
- The kids are good. There was about 3 months that chicken pox swept through the entire bunch, but I think that season is over now. Praise the Lord. Pray continued safety over the kids and the grounds (from insects and animals).
- Rainy season is here and (except for this past week) it rains everyday from about 2:30-3:00 pm or 4:00-5:00. So this is good for the crops and good to cool down the weather. The road to LCH is starting to get a little sloppy though, especially when it rains everyday and if there is no good sun to dry it up.
- This weekend I am planning to go to Pancake night with the American group and then spend the night with some of the girls. On Sat, I will go to the market and buy stuff to make pico-de-gallo. MMM. I had a dream last night that I was at an enormous dinner buffet with all of my favorite food, so my taste buds are already wet. To accompany my hint of Mexico, since there are no tortilla chips in Uganda, I am going to learn how to make posher chips. It should be interesting.
- My heart is good. I can’t believe that this month makes it 6 months of being back and in May it will be one year of friendships with the Ugandans. I still really love everyday that I am here and the kids are such a treasure to me. Surprisingly I have not been too homesick. There are occasional days that I really miss the depth of conversation or getting to hear funny stories and comments, but overall I feel at home here. I am really looking forward to the summer teams coming because it is fun to get to interact with them and be renewed with their enthusiasm, and because I have a handful of really special people who are coming with some of the teams that I just can’t wait to see!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nat- you are gonna be so awesome with leading games and stuff..yeah for Tim Team!!! That is awesome...hope the roads don't ever get as bad as they were in Panama, man riding on those trucks was crazy...So glad you are doing so great and have so many up and coming things...We are praying for you everyday and praise God for your ministry there and that you feel at home:) AWESOME!!! Love YOu Nat
Ash and Bret

Anonymous said...

thinking of and praying for you today:)gennean

Anonymous said...

Thanks for updating Nat. And adding in how your heart is doing because I love the stories, but love to hear how you are feeling and your thoughts on life. Praise God that you feel at home with the Ugandans...what an answer to prayer! Continuing to pray for you everyday and those kids. I love you Nat very much!
Eddie