Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Monday, January 7, 2008

Happy New Year

Wow... 2008. I can't believe it.

I brought in the new year with much fun and a late night. After a great turkey dinner with soda, the family all got dressed up, "looking smart" and we went to a hotel in town. Well first we drove around looking for petro, since the crisis in Kenya left Uganda dry of any incoming resources like petro and food (they closed the borders to prevent traveling on dangerous roads- due to the rioters). So, after 5 petro stations and paying double the price, we made it to the hotel. It was packed. They had a stage set up where local Uganda performers would sing. Really I think they were lip singing to their recorded songs, but none the less the Ugandans loved it. There were also a few groups who had dances to songs you hear on the radio. Although in Africa, American music videos are still watched here and I realized how much influence the power of music and music videos has all over the world. It is somewhat a shame that inappropriate dance moves and songs have such a powerful spreading.

At midnight there were fireworks, something I never expected to see here. Everyone cheered and did the "African call- ey ye ye ye ye ye " after ever explosion. It was a real treat.

Otherwise, things are going fine here. I am ready for holidays to be over and school to resume, but still have until Feb. 4. Then they will begin a new school year in which the kids will start a new grade level. I bought a bike last week so I have enjoyed having some freedom to ride to town or to a hotel that has a pool. Yes, i went swimming in Jan. It is very hot here and the sun blazes since we are on the equator. The comments I get when people see "muzungu" riding a bike are very funny. I usually pretend not to hear them but sometimes i just have to laugh.

Please pray for the things in Kenya. They are still very intense. Uganda has no danger, so don't worry about that. I have realized the widespread effect of international conflict. For example, the petro shortage in Uganda due to fear of traveling on roads. Also, there are thousands of Kenyan refugees here in Uganda who are lacking food and have had to leave everythign they own. THey also are in rough conditions, seeing as they are being accomodated in schools, etc and there can be a lack of space or even things like inadequte bathroom facilities to accomodate such numbers. So, only the Lord can bring peace and restore Kenya.

Some might be thinking, "Nat, today is your birthday. What will you do to celebrate?" Well, I don't really know. I made a cake last night to have after dinner tonight, but I think it will just be another day. Here in Uganda, when asked how old you are they say, "I am making 25". Well, i have realized a great lesson from this. Truly people here are grateful that they have made it up to the age that they are. They realize that life is precious and tomorrow is not promised. They don't take each day for granted like I have the tendency to do. SO, on this day I joyfully and thankfully say that today I have made 25 years of life and that is nothing apart from the grace God has shown me. Praise Him that he is the giver of life in reguard to living and breathing, but even moreso Praise Him that LIFE is found in Christ. Life beyond just breathing and surviving, but one of hope and joy and salvation.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nat--
Bret and I were praying for you last night as we knew it was already your birthday!! thinking of when we played the price is right :) gotta love it...Hope you have a great 25th bday...We love you
Bret and Ash

Anonymous said...

Nat! It's officially your birthday in the US. Know that you are prayed for, loved, and missed dearly! Be safe. Love you tons!

Kimo

PS. When Sarah came back from the Race last year, she brought me a shirt that says Mzungu on it! It's pretty funny!

Anonymous said...

Today is your birthday and you are loved! I hope today has been wonderful for you and that it still feels like a birthday for you, my dear! So, happy birthday, happy birthday, HAPPY BIRTHDAY! We are so blessed to have had you for 25 years (old lady)! I love you.
Love,
Laila

Anonymous said...

amen that true life is found in Him! and that your life is found in Him... how special it is for me to know you in Him! now you get to celebrate life African style...ay ye ye ye! how fun is that.

Unknown said...

Love you and miss you, Nat. Wish I could be with you on your birthday again this year, but we are both being blessed where we're at.
School's starting up again, and we're going through scheduling and such, so it's busy, but I love what I'm doing. :) I love you, Natalie!
~Rebecca