Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Monday, January 14, 2008

Birthdays are different in Uganda…

Well, I will admit that I didn’t think anything much would be happening for my birthday, so I chose to begin and end the day without mentioning it was my birthday to anyone. I knew that that night we would have cake, which I had prepared the day before.

So I spent the day playing with the kids at the children’s home which is always so fun because they are eager to play any game that you can come up with. After getting home, the power checked in the evening and so I was in my room, playing solitaire by lantern. At some point I went to the main house because I heard laughing and wanted to join, but I was chased away (in a nice way) with the request, “Would you please remain in your room until someone calls you.” So, there I was, remaining in my room, knowing now that something was up but still feeling a bit lonely seeing as I was all by myself in the dark. Around 9pm the phone calls started coming in from America (yeah!!) so I got to chat until Winnie came to get me. She said I was to come with her but that I must be blindfolded. Something rung in my head remembering that Kenyans have a tradition of something about water and birthdays, so I asked if I should give her my phone and camera to carry. She said yes and hesitantly led me to the main house, staying far behind. At this point I knew I was about to get another bath, but this time fully clothed. As I got nearer, I could hear little whispers, “Get ready, she is coming.” Still blindfolded and everything being VERY dark (remember the power is out), I walked into the kitchen and SPLASH- lots of water was poured all over me and the birthday song started. Everyone from the compound was there and the candles were lit, in the shape of an N, on the cake I had made. So, I blew them out.

Then, the MC of the night began the party. In Uganda there is one person to announce, guide, and tell stories of the Birthday person. SO, after a little introduction of how I am the “baby girl, born today” and how they are thankful to my parents for giving birth to me, it was time to cut the cake. But, this is a big deal and something that you have someone join you in helping you to cut and they sing for you again. I had baby Alma help me, although this was a little awkward because I was all wet and I didn’t want her to start crying by being wet too. In Uganda the birthday person serves cake to all of the guests and then soda. I will admit that I was a little nervous because it was the first time I had made a cake from scratch and I was serving it to my guests without trying it first to make sure that it tasted fine. Then it was time for people to say something about the “baby” and to pray over me. After all this was done, some people presented gifts and the night was over.

All in all, I really enjoyed. It was different from any other birthday or party I have had, but I guess that will be a common statement that I make for the next year or two as I live life in Uganda. So, I have MADE 25 years now and I recognize and give my Savior all the credit for keeping me up to this day. What a blessing life is!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You posted this on my birthday. Hope someone makes me a cake.

xxoo
Guess Who???

Anonymous said...

I think I am going to bring the tradition of throwing water on the birthday person to America!!!

Love you friend :)

photobugthatsme said...

I love reading your blogs Natalie. I can tell you are having the time of your life. Can't wait to see you in February. God bless you girl in the things you are doing with and for those kiddos! Thank you for giving to the Lord and to LCH. :-)

love,
Dee Dee