Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens…

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens… 
...these are a few of my favorite things (about being back in America)

-       - a washing machine and dryer- no longer does it take at least a 3 day planning process. I can have my clothes washed, dried, folded, and put away in a matter of 3 hours!

                                         

-      -  Fast internet- all the time- at any hour of the day. Believe it or not, November was the first time I have ever used Netflix.

-       - No more smoothie pressure- the power won’t be going out. I can take all the time I want to make my smoothie. (and I don’t have to peel and chop the fruit as step one of the process- everything is done for me already in nice bite size frozen pieces)


-       - Amazon- what used to have to be planned at least a month in advance to get to whoever was kind enough to hand deliver it to me in Mbale can now be at my doorstep in 2 days! TWO DAYS people. That is wonderful! (and a bit dangerous)

-       - This view. Everyday. And the water just keeps coming up. Not to mention the breathtaking sunsets. 





-       - $1.67 fuel per GALLON! Hello!!! What a deal compared to $1+ per liter (about $4 per gallon)

-       - Christmas decorations in all its glimmering, classy, beauty. (We would joke in Uganda about embracing the “tacky” decorations since tinsel is the main decorating item)
     
     
-       - Ice cream. Creamy, fully frozen (and never been unfrozen and refrozen), mouthwatering ice cream.

-       - And I can’t forget cheese (which makes its way into at least one of my daily meals)

-       - And while I am on a food role… Mexican food. (It is the "thing" I miss the most while in Uganda)

In 8 years, there has only been one time that Chuy's has not been my first meal back on Texas soil. 
  
-       - A new favorite is Zumba at the local YMCA. Since I live in a small town with many retired people the class has people my age up to around 70. It brings a big smile to my face seeing these grandmas try to do a booty roll or the “sexy walk.” Ha. Awesome!

-       - Usually having no agenda for the day. I know it is only for this season and it took a little bit of adjusting to no be so busy or feel guilty for not being busy. But I am really enjoying the freedom and rest of this sabbatical!

Exploring childhood sites of Austin.
360 Bridge
Austin Skyline



-       - Getting to spend time with family and friends that I greatly miss when I am with my Ugandan family and friends. Moments with these dear ones have definitely been the best part of my time back in America.




  









































Merry Christmas! 
May the joy of the Lord be your strength and delight!




No comments: