Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Monday, April 13, 2009

Just saying Hi

Hi. It has been a little while since I have posted. Really, I am a bit discouraged with the internet in my room, still fighting a battle for them to compensate me from the lack of access the first month. Things just take time here in Africa. So, when that is fixed I will have many photos to share.

But I wanted to say Happy Easter. Ours was very rainy. I was woken up at 6:30 am so that the girls could fetch some water from my bathroom since their tank was out of water. But around 8am the rain came, seriously, and didn’t stop all day. Around 9:45am we left in the car and van to head to church and pick people up on the way. This is late to just be leaving for church seeing as service was suppose to start at 9:30. But when most people don’t have a car, we knew if we went on time we would be the only ones there. But by the end of the service, the church was fairly full. There was extra singing, some time for testimonies, and presentations by the kids of church. Also, some of the LCH kids came into town and presented 2 songs. It was a real treat. Then we had a big lunch here at home. Nothing real eventful after that.

But I was able to go to an Easter celebration on Sat. with all the ex-patriots in Mbale. Nurse Dyana even came in town and went with me. I am trying to get closer to the American girls I have been knowing. This week alone I did henna with them, went to an Indian lady to have my eyebrows threaded and a facial, and then to this Easter BBQ. So, Lord willing, we will continue to find connections and commonalities.

It is funny, as I sit here writing this, there are echos from everywhere of little kids hooting and hollering. Since the rain was so much yesterday, there are these little white ants that come from the ground after the rain. Children like to catch them, pull off their wings, fry them, and eat them. (I think I wrote about it last year). Well, the day after the rain kids from all areas find the ant holes near their house and find plastic to cover the hole and trap the ants inside the plastic. But to lure the ants out of the hole they shout into the hole, believing the noise attracts them to the surface. I really wish that it didn’t take forever to upload video because the sight and sound is priceless.

Here are a few more funny things I heard this week:

- If it is raining when the sun is bright and sunny out, that means a leopard is producing.
- If you jump someone (meaning step over someone, like step over their outstretched legs) then that means they will produce a child that looks like you.

Next week the kids begin their exams and there are 2 weeks until the first term ends. I am eager for the change of pace during the holidays and the chance to play and spend more one on one time teaching the kids.

Well that is it for this update. I am so grateful that I serve a living God and that there is hope beyond the grave, sin, and satan. HE IS RISEN!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nat-
Bret and I were just sitting here reading your blog and wanted you to know we are praying for ya and missing you. We went to Austin for church on Sunday and always think of our awesome friend from Austin...thanks for the stories and glad you get a break soon to hang out with the kids...that is one of my favorite things about teaching...when you finally get a break and just get to hang out and play with the kiddos outside of school. :) Love ya Nat and miss ya,
Ash and Bret

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to your updates Nat. Talk to you this week? Praying for you daily.

Miss you and love you much :)

Eddie