Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Friday, October 24, 2008

Lost in Transition

So, I feel like the first few days of being home were great. I probably looked like a little kid in a candy shop, wide eyed at everything. Not that THAT much has changed, but just not seeing/using/experiencing/tasting it in a while. I did a lot of small errands that have been on my to-do list and got to do some shopping for new clothes!

But I feel like this week has been more of the “culture shock” time. Not really “shock” persay because I knew what to expect since this is not my first time to come from another country back into the US. But more like a “lost in transition between cultures”. There are some things that have just come back to me, like driving on the right side of the road and getting around Austin. (I guess 23 years of Austin roads are ingrained in me). But there are other things that I do feel a bit funny with. Here are a few stories:

Story #1: I was in the kitchen visiting with Dad the other night while he was beginning to prepare dinner. He asked me if I could help by slicing some onions and carrots. Sure. No problem. The first slice he advised me to cut them a bit thicker. The second slice I thought to myself, “It is cutting so smoothly. Wow, this knife is really sharp.” And then third slice, (I am sure you can guess what happened next)… yep, the onion slid a bit and then I sliced my finger. Not too bad. But immediately I said, “Oh. Dad. We have an injury,” with my hand above my head. His response, “Already Nat?! What? Did you not cook in Africa?” Well, no not really. At first I cooked on Sundays but then I realized it was A LOT of work to prepare everything from scratch and they weren’t that excited about eating my American cuisine. So, I stopped cooking. Plus—who knew that Dad keeps his knifes as sharp as swords used in Medieval battles?

Story #2: I think people at the stores think I might be a bit slow or not all there. Yesterday, I walked to a little coffee shop near my house. When I went to the counter to order I know I looked and acted a bit confused. Ordering coffee, something that is a great pastime for me, took great effort to think about. Now what did I normally get and what sort of details do I need to tell them? So, instead of the cool coffee lingo, I ended up asking the lady if she could make my coffee with skim milk. I kinda giggled at the look on her face when she answered yes. Like she was thinking, “Um, Hello? Has this lady (being me) never come to a coffee shop before?!” I got my coffee and realized that I forgot something in my order—extra hot. But next time I know, “Non-Fat vanilla Latte-extra hot, with a dollop of whip cream.” I will not be defeated again by the coffee shop order. I also get a bit confused when using American Dollars verses the Uganda Shilling that go by thousands. One US dollar is equivalent to about 1600/Ush. But the lady was very nice and patient. It turns out that her husband is from Kenya and so I think we will have something to talk about next time I come in.

Story #3: Really this is just to let you know so that you too don't make fun of me (I know it is all in love though)... sometimes I speak with a bit of a British accent. I can't help it! I teach British style phonics to little African kids! Their short "i" sounds like our long "e" and they accentuate different areas of words. So, just be ready.

Other than that, nothing really else new. Feel free to call me if you want to chat. I am usually at home. 512-339-4318. I will try to post MUCH more pictures soon but right now my computer went crazy and is not exactly working right now. So, give me some time and I will have those up. I am also wanting to come to visit the major cities of Texas, so if you live in one of them and have a time that you suggest is better to come then let me know by email.

3 comments:

Sarah Patrick said...

fun stories, I miss life with you...always an adventure!!

Anonymous said...

Everyone enjoyed your cooking Nat, its just that you gave up so fast. G

Anonymous said...

everyone enjoyed you food its just that you gave up so fast. G