Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Monday, October 20, 2008

Home safely

Hi. I am now back in Texas, using the high speed internet, sitting without fear of the power going out or without the music of the mosquitos buzzing around. Jac and I had an EXTREMELY long flight back home (27 hours in total) but made it with all luggage. We had a fun time during the journey though. Four of the kids and 2 moms came with us, along with Glenn. They were dressed in their best as they came to get us from Pastor's house. I think it is a common trend for people coming from smaller towns to dress up to come to the "big" city. The boys looked cute in their little pin on ties though. Everything went great during the ride there and we eat whole fish by lake Victoria to end our time in Uganda.

With a few teary eyes, we hugged and kissed our goodbyes and the kids proceeded to go to the top story of the airport to see the planes take off and land. During our first flight, Jac and I decided it would be a good idea to stay up all night and take advantage of the hundreds of movies we had at our fingertips. We learned later in our journey, when we were exhausted but our bodies were too tired of the cramped flying postition to sleep, that this was a bad idea, seeing as we didn't get in the air until around 11pm. Well, I made it through 2 movies and then crashed. We were able to find these nice lounge-type chairs in Amsterdam's airport and slept a bit. Kind of awkwardly though seeing as we were trying to keep and arm or leg though our luggage that sat beside us.

The security in Amsterdam was really intense and i was glad Jac was there cause I was too tired and felt like he was trying to force me to be guilty during his questioning. Then at the xray luggage station they stopped my purse. I realized I had a tiny pocket knife, which the laughed at and let me keep, but he did empty my bag and saw how many sweeties I had taken from the previous flight. In case you didn't know... with KLM, if you go to the back of the plane when everyone else is sleeping, they serve water and all sorts of snack size chocolate bars. I went first and brought one of each kind for me and Jac. She then went and came back in a sneaky way, dumping a whole handful on my lap. Ha, it was really funny but we enjoyed them ALL!

The second flight I met a really nice lady who was coming home from Ukraine with her husband and the new daughter they just adopted. It turns out that she just published a christian-fiction type book that comes out in Feb. It was cool to talk with her and tell her about LCH. I hope this is the first of MANY conversations that I get to boast in the Lord! There wasn't much sleeping on this extra long flight because my body was feeling too much like an old woman and couldn't get comfortable. As we landed, we had less than an hour to book it off the plane, through customs, get our luggage, check it back in, and then run a small marathon to reach the gate in the proper terminal. BUT, praise the Lord we made it with 5 minutes to spare.

When we arrived in Austin, we were only expecting Janece to pick us up because she works close to the airport. I was so surprised to see Dad and Monica there too. Then from behind the corner, 6 of our Tim Teamers (a discipleship program we did together) came running at us with open arms and a sign. It was so great to see them but so sureal and we were exhausted. Thanks for coming guys!!!

The first meal home, back in the US after a year... Chuys!! Oh I love mexican food. I think i might have drewled as I walked in the door.

So, now I am here in Austin. Jac left today and tomorrow all the family will be going to work so it will be my first real day to process and be by myself. It is kinda weird to be back but in another way it seems like i was never gone. The best way to describe it is that i feel like i am in a time warp. I don't feel like time has passed much, yet i know that a lot has changed. I think the catch up is going to be where my "quality time love language" comes in. It is too hard for me to just sit down an try to catch up on a year. But as I spend time with people the stories just start flowing. So, please don't be offended if you only see me breifly and I don't just ramble stories off.

I am grateful to be home and grateful to know that I am going back. God is good. I think i will be posting periodically while I am home. Thank you so much for joining, supporting, loving, giving, praying, and encouraging me on this journey!!!!!

PS-- to my Austin stone group before I left-- i have been meaning to post this but always forgot. THANK YOU so so so much for the package you sent me! It was such a blessing at the exact right time. I am now back in Austin but don't have any phone numbers or emails to connect with any of you... so email me if you want.

No comments: