Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Thoughts From Janece in America

Yesterday was the first day back to work and back to my reality. But thoughts of Africa are still very fresh in my mind. I am so thankful for the experiences God provided through the hospitality of his children in Uganda. Glenn and his parents opened their home and treated me as one of their own. The children and staff at Lulwanda were welcoming beyond words. And most of all, it was a great blessing to spend time with Natalie and see Africa through her eyes.

My co-workers in Texas are very interested in hearing about my trip to Africa so I am planning a “brown bag lunch” to show pictures and talk about opportunities for filling some of the needs I observed during my brief time there. In addition to introducing them to the good work that is taking place at Lulwanda Children’s Home, I will talk about bread, books and bed sheets. Let me explain.

For those of you who do not know, my primary project at the children’s home was to show the aunties how to bake bread using a heavy duty mixer my neighbor Jan provided. I was holding my breath that the transformer I purchased at Frye’s would properly convert Uganda’s higher voltage electrical current. When we flipped the switch, the mixer began turning just like it did in my kitchen back home. The aunties believe the mixer, which can mix at one time enough dough for up to six loaves of bread, will allow them to cut their weekly purchases in half. Now, my job is to raise money for a new mixer, since the one my neighbor donated is old and will not withstand constant usage.


MAKING BREAD AT LULWANDA



There is also a need for hardback children’s books preferably about Africa because the children can relate more easily to books that depict situations from their daily lives. Mike and Mary Thrasher from Cypress Creek Church in Wimberley, Texas are leading the effort to establish a library at the children’s home, and have secured space on a large container for shipping books to Uganda around the first of the year. My co-workers have expressed an interest in helping the children and I will encourage them to start collecting books.

I cherish the time I spent reading to the children at the home, primarily the three and four-year-olds. They might not have understood all of the text, but their eyes gobbled up the colorful illustrations that filled every page. They loved to point out objects they recognized and describe what they were seeing. They will benefit greatly from the library Mike and Mary are starting.


FLAVIA AND DAVIS ARE FIRST TO THE READING CIRCLE AT STORY TIME




IT IS EASY TO SEE THE CHILDREN LOVE LEARNING




The third “B” stands for bed sheets. Hayley, a student from Texas State University has taken on a project to meet basic needs of children who live in a slum area of Mbale called Namatala. The pictures depict the deprivation that is the reality of these children’s daily lives. Natalie and I accompanied Hayley and Mama Aida to distribute bed sheets, toothpaste and toothbrushes to the children. You can also observe Hayley gathering profiles of the children in order to seek sponsors from America to provide financial support. A little more than a dollar a day will meet a child’s basic needs and provide for their education. We cannot help everyone but we can help who we can. Many friends in Texas are also interested in learning more about this effort.

NAMATALA


There were also lighthearted moments on my trip, so I will end with this “fun” picture. I had the outfit made by a tailor in Mbale and my new friend Margaret tied the scarf on my head. I was told the outfit was quite “smart” for Sunday morning church, where I felt right at home.

NEW OUTFIT


Thanks for the opportunity to share my experiences. I encourage anyone who has the vaguest interest in taking a mission trip to Africa to act on the impulse and do it. You will be a better person for it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very well said! it always seems hard to pick the words and stories out of the thousands which to speak on and tell people about, but you seemed to have alot of clarity on that in this blog..and im sure theres a thousand little stories that only you will know and think on in the days ahead ... for some reason once you go to Africa it sticks in you and you just cant get it out! Though we may leave, Africa is never done with those who visit her! Congratulations on stepping out in a huge leap of faith and now being able to witness to others about the goodness and faithfulness of God! Gennean

Unknown said...

Hi Natalie,

My name is yao, working in San Jose, California, a coworker with you Dad. During last week's quarterly business meeting in San Jose, you Dad showed me your blog on his computer, I was impressed. I admire people giving up their own comfort just to serve on mission trips in poor regions.

You're young and well educated, you could easily get a good job and build up a career. Yet you choose to be in Africa serving orphans. This is sacrificing your own benefit for the benefit of others. And this is holy in itself.

Audrey Hepburn, one of the top actresses in the film industry, used to serve orphans in Africa. She's recognized as the most beautiful woman by billions of people, because Audrey is a great inspiration.

Looking at what you're doing in Africa, I view you just as extraordinary as Audrey, your own Audrey, simple and generous, special yet not knowing it, who can create a stir and impact to society.

I've passes your blog address to my Bible study group, requesting my group to leave messages in your blog, to charge you up, to accompany you, and to thank you.

yao