Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The past few weeks in photos

Janece came to visit with a team that taught the teachers at LCH. Nothing could be greater then getting to have a family member share the joy and love of these precious kids that I love so much.

But sadly, when that team left they took my sweet sister in the faith, Haley, with them. She had been here for about 2 months and was such a blessing to have around. I miss you, Haley!


I also hosted my first team, the Global Challenge team. I knew some of them from T bar M and was glad to have them here and hear stories about their adventures in China and India. They stayed at home with me and did a great work at LCH, painting the buildings.


That same week, the first group from Midland Bible Church (full of some of my really great friends) were in Mbale doing a church plant. Although my time was limited, I did get to chat and catch up a bit on life in Midland. It was so good to see them.


All the while I was still teaching Phonics to my little groups. It is so fun to see your students run to class because they are excited to learn.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ICE CREAM!! The Global Challenge group left some money in which we had an ice cream party with all the kids and staff. They loved it but were a little disappointed when they realized they couldn’t keep it for later and had to then drink their melted ice cream. Delicious all the same!

I also had my own gomas made. It is the traditional dress of the Buganda tribe that they wear to ceremonies (or if you are a grandma you wear it to dress up when you go to town). I was so excited. Glenn chose the cloth for me and surprised me with it. Good taste! I also got to do a little bargaining in the whole sale market in Kampala for the shoes and jewelry.

This past weekend we went to an introduction ceremony for one of Glenn’s friends and it was in the mountains. So beautiful. And since it was my first appearance in my new gomas, I was glad that I was not the only Mzungu there.

Part of the dowry gifts for the bride’s family.

And I found this cool grasshopper- the most colorful I have ever seen. So being the master photographer that I am, I caught it in a leaf, brought it home, and then posed it on these flowers. Wow. Good I know.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Natalie,

The gomas is lovely and you found the perfect necklace. I had so much fun my last day in Uganda when we tried to find matching shoes. It is a great memory! Love you, Janece

Anonymous said...

those are awesome pics Nat and LOve the dress...thanks for always sharing Nat...so glad you have gotten to have so many visitors come see you...you are so great...love ya and miss ya,
Ash and Bret

Anonymous said...

Love the photos Nat. You look very authentic! I know what a blessing its been to see everyone. Always love to hear from you Nat...I praying for you! Miss you friend.
Eddie

Anonymous said...

Cool dress---something you can not find here in the USA. Since we will be in Austin this weekend, I will ask Janece to wear her dress she got from Africa to church on Sunday.
We enjoyed all the pictures that were taken and look at them frequently.
Love Dad xxoo

Kimo said...

Rat-

I smiled so big when I saw the pic of you teaching in your classroom! It brings such great joy to my life to know that we are doing the same thing on opposite sides of the earth. What an opportunity we have to impact kids' lives for Christ. Love you and miss you!

Kimo

Anonymous said...

i love that dress! really i do! i especially love the picture of the grasshopper! hahah! brings back great memories of jack rabbits in colorado.

Jenn said...

nat thats gorgeous! you look beautiful.

missing you - hope beeler hugs you for me!

Liz Lindow said...

Natalie!

This is Liz Schroeder (now Lindow). I've been ready your blog for awhile and an enraptured by your stories and all that God is doing. You look fantastic and fulfilled!

Much love,
Liz