Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Thursday, November 1, 2007

Into the groove

Ah, this week I am feeling good. Well i guess since yesterday I am really feeling good about teaching. The last week and the begining of this week I have been trying to organize the small groups for phonics. This has been a bit crazy. Because even in the small groups kids are at a different level and the newer kids are needing to understand my accent. But God is very good and there was a wonderful flow yesterday and I am getting a feel for the different levels of the groups and the individuals in the groups, so I feel very happy about that. The kids are also getting used to the new timetable, since we meet for phonics after lunch, when most of the kids dont return back to school after lunch. So, things are going along well and it was so fun to get to see them excited about learning and having a new or more full understanding of what the sounds and letters are in the alphabet. It is also cool to be teaching phonics because I remember when i was in Namibia, my first time to Africa and i saw a huge problem of 6th and 7th graders who continue to be advanced in grade level but can't read. I remember thinking, "how do you teach an older kid like this how to read?" And now.... da da da da... i am teaching these kids who are slower at picking up reading. Wow.

I am also learining more and more about different cultural things. For example, my current question I am pondering is what makes 2 people officially married? is it a wedding? is it a legal document? or is it and agreement of the family once the man introduces himself to the family of his soon to be wife and they agree. Here in Uganda, it seems that it is the introduction ceremony (and yes they have an actual ceremony with many interesting traditions- I have yet to be to one but I have heard of it). After the introduction ceremony and the family agreeing then there is a waiting time until the man comes and picks up the wife from her fathers home and they are married. But I think things are becoming more common in the town where at least the church has to have an official blessing over the marriage before the couple can move in together. It is just interesting to think of. In America, how many traditions do we follow that have been created for the sake of tradition? But they are fun. Like wedding receptions with a dance party.., those are my favorite :). But that is my random thought.

Some have asked about a phone number and I do NOT have one yet but I will get that out once I do have one.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

im really glad to hear that youre in the swing of things already and that the kids are excited to come after lunch to learn! God is so gracious like that...Rejoicing in Isaiah 38:18,19 with you!

(btw to keep u up to date on CA news- we had an earthquake a couple days ago! not fun... thankfully it wasnt destructive, just the earth reminding us she's alive and kickin!)

Anonymous said...

Hi, Nat. It's about 7 p.m. on Thursday. It's so interesting hearing about your teaching experiences. You are a natural when it comes to interacting with children and providing instruction in a way they can understand.

Your dad and I are going to Houston tomorrow. We will leave about 7 a.m. We are going to a funeral. You remember my friend Becky who fixed all the food for the wedding? Her mom died this week. She had been sick for some time. Please pray for her family and for our safe trip. I'm really glad your dad is going with me so I don't have to make the trip alone.

The cabinets are in and stained. The next step is the countertops. I'll be so glad when we can cook again. Love, janece

Mary Thrasher said...

Hey girl! I have been thinking about you and your start of classes. I pray that you will just the Lord lead you and speak through you each and every day. After arriving there and getting set up, do you see anything you need? I believe someone from GICF will be coming there end of month or Dec.and I can get in touch with him to bring to you. We are excited about coming. It looks like we will bring a team the end of June around the 25th and possibly till the 7th of July. WE are so proud of God's using you.

Mary Thrasher said...

Nat, you are a blessing to the children. I just wanted you to know that God will be using you in a mighty way. Hail - who would have thought! What a science lesson!The kids will continue to grow as they learn each and every day. We are beginning to form a team for the summer. It is exciting to see how God is shaping and calling the hearts of His people.