Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Time flies... two.5 months back...

I really can't believe how time flies by. I can't believe it is already the middle of June. I can't believe that LCH has already hosted two of the six summer visitors. 

I arrived back in Uganda on April 7 and felt right back at home. This is my home. Nine years is no short time. I love the life I have here in Uganda. I love my friends, Ugandan and expats. I love my little house that God has provided and I love hosting people in my house. I love the work that I get to do and that no two days are similar. And most of all I love these kiddos. 


I was barely able to get out of the car when I first arrived back at Lulwanda after my sabbatical. 
"Teacha, welcome back! How is America? How are the home people?"


The children were in the middle of their first term when I returned. But I tried to make the most of their time out of class. 

They love "painting" their faces with sidewalk chalk. 
Some of the older children have gotten quite artistic in their designs.


April showers bring May flowers. 
This is true for Uganda's rainy season. 
But April showers also allow for some old fashioned fun, our own permanent slip-n-slide.




I love that daily there are little friends at my desk, either greeting me during their time for break or looking to "help" me once they are released from class.
(Kevin Matsukuni and Mary Namari- two of the children that joined our Lulwanda family last year.)

Ian helping me with sponsor letters.

But since it was the middle of school term, I did not get to see most of the secondary children, who are away at boarding school, until they returned for holiday in May. But I was very happy to see my friends at St. Paul's College (in Mbale town) for their visitation day. 




Lulwanda Primary School participated in inter-house and sub-county track and field competitions. Daily children were in the field practicing their laps and speed to be ready for the big day. 


The finish line made from banana fibers tied together: TIA (this is Africa)

Head Master William sporting his awesome hat and telling the runners we are ready for them.

Hellen (in the peach shirt) running the race through the crowds of people.

There were also other happenings within this time, some at Lulwanda and some with my friends in town. More posts about some of those happenings to come soon.

Milton, one of our newest children in the middle (with the pink jacket) surrounded by his friends.

One of my tasks as the Program Coordinator is to write a monthly report and take photos of the happenings at Lulwanda. You can find these reports posted on the GICF website HERE.

As I was moving around for photos of the children in school, I came across the nursery classes celebrating the birthday of one of the community children (their parent had brought soda and cake for everyone). I guess I was at the right place at the right time and had fun celebrating with them. Once they opened their sodas partially, the carbonation was making a noise out of the bottle and all the children were fascinated, "Teacha, the bottle is singing." (I love the things that little kids say!)


2 comments:

Unknown said...

We are working very hard to get ready to come. Marc, Jaci, and I have been manning a booth in our church Commons area for the past 2 Sundays. We have received many Prayer Warriors who will pray for our trip. Love you and cannot wait to see you in the next 2 weeks.

The Tamplins said...

Hi Nat!! Thank you for your heart warming words and photos. I read this with lots of smiles and am filled with fond memories of visiting you at the school and spending time with you on Mbale..wow I miss that place. I remember the track event you brought me too as well!! Lots of fun...you are doing such amazing things over there xoxoxo