Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

The little pieces that make up AWESOME stories...


SO you know how sometimes God pieces together stories over a long period of time, sometimes unknowingly that this piece matches with that one? Well I have one of those stories (of many) to tell…

Piece 1:
Right after university I had the great blessing of being part of TBarM’s Timothy Team. As a discipleship program, we went on an evangelical mission trip at the beginning of the year. Our trip to Nigeria/Cameroon was one of the greatest adventures I will ever have in my life (that is a whole other super crazy story). But the curriculum changed after my year and all the following Tim Teams after ours now go to Israel instead of an evangelical trip like we took. Throughout the years my teammates and I have discussed whether, if possible, we would have traded our trip to Africa for a trip to Israel. Both being super awesome, we have all concluded that our experience in Cameroon was once in a life-time so we wouldn’t trade it. But we would really love to go to Israel one day.

Piece 2:
One furlough Janece and I borrowed some CDs of Ray Vanderlann’s teaching. As we listened, we started discussing how we would love to go to Israel together. Much discussion and dreaming later we said, “Ok, 2014.” But 2014 came and went and Dad wasn’t very enthusiastic about us going over there due to safety issues. So we didn’t go and Israel remained on my life bucket-list.

Piece 3:
Last year during one of my calls with my parents (while I was in Uganda) they told me they opened an interesting piece of mail on my behalf.

Piece 4:
Throughout my childhood my grandparents and aunt would send me CD bonds for Christmas and birthdays. These went into an account to pay for University. And when I graduated in 2005 I paid off my student loans with the CD bonds and part of my inheritance from my mom’s house. Finished. Done deal. Debt free. Amen.

Back to piece 3:
They told me I received a letter from a certain company. The name rang a bell but I had to go into the deep recesses of my brain to piece together why it sounded familiar… it was the account where I had my CD bonds. Apparently I had some money remaining in that account.

WHAT?!?!! I thought I spent it all to pay for school. Why haven’t we received anything from them all these years? How did they even know my address anymore since we had moved? What in the world?!

I remember thinking that I would love to use it to take a memory-making trip.

Piece 5:
As you know, I am on my sabbatical. This has been a journey to get to this place and the Lord has kindly gifted me with this time. This is the longest amount of time I have ever been back in the States since 2007 when I moved to Uganda.

Piece 6:
Back in July 2015, Janece sends me this email:





And my response:




Janece had read about the trip in the church bulletin and it obviously caught her eye, especially that it coincided with when I would be in America on sabbatical. Another time at church, the leader of the trip walked up to where my parent were so she mentioned wanting to go but Dad’s concern about security. The leader’s answer settled Dad’s worries and he gave the go ahead to pursue it.

Piece 7:




So in 14 days Janece and I are headed to the Holy Land. We are beyond excited to see the places we have read about in the Bible all these years and to walk the paths that Jesus walked. Please be praying for us and the other 32 people in our group as we depart January 26. Pray for unity and safety among the group. And pray that the eye of our heart would be enlightened and that the Word would become alive as we gain deeper understanding.


Drawing from one of the LCH boys during a summer team activity.


(I also want to acknowledge the generosity of my parents for my Christmas and Birthday "gifts" going towards this trip.)

As Keith, the Tim Team “boss” always says, “God writes some pretty amazing stories.”




No comments: