Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Friday, August 7, 2015

Jesus is Enough

One of my recent highlights was getting to meet a sweet old "Jaja" called Mary. Not necessarily that she said so many appealing words or could offer me anymore than her welcome as hospitality. But she took a place in my heart as a giver (and confirm-er) of a nugget of wisdom- "Jesus is enough."

I met this Jaja as my team was moving around the village surrounding Lulwanda in an outreach called Buckets of Hope. We had already visited 5 homes and Jaja's was the last. Instead of coming out to greet us we had to draw near to the entrance of her house, since it was immediately obvious that she was not only really old (the average life expectancy in Uganda is around 60-65 years) but was quite feeble and supporting herself with a stick. 



Through a translator I introduced our group and said that we came in love and in the name of Jesus. She immediately began to praise the Lord for at least 2 minutes before we could continue. In the Lugisu language she boasted, "The Lord is good. He has never left my side. Thank you Jesus. You are with me." Often she would grab our hands to join her in praising the Lord.




This Jaja repeated the same words that my Granny had told me about a month back- "Without the Lord I wouldn't be here. He keeps me day by day." 

This Jaja told us that though she is alone in that house and has lost all of her relatives, she is not alone. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are there with her. 

She was grateful for the supplies we gave that met her some physical needs, but was overjoyed when we gave her a Bible in her local language (side note, I was a bit surprised, since Uganda is fairly modernized, to learn that the Old Testament translation of Lugisu has not yet been finished, so the Bibles we gave were only New Testament). She told us that she would sleep with the Bible under her pillow so that the Word of God would be near as she rested.

Jesus is enough...Without the Lord I wouldn't be here...Testimonies from the elderly who have lived their days and experienced so much. Lord, help me to live that as true, day by day, for the rest of my life.


1 comment:

thejoyofteachingkids.blogspot.com said...

Wow! What a beautiful reminder of God's faithfulness. Jesus is enough!