Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Saturday, January 3, 2009

The holiday update



It has been another busy 2 weeks. It seems like I have spells of being really busy traveling and then other times where I am such a home-body and don’t go outside the neighborhood (or the distance I can run to) for like a week. I wish it would be more consistent, but I guess that goes with the traveling. And, all January Janece (my step-mom) will be off so we can do things together. I am glad for that.

I had a wonderful Christmas and New Years. We went as a family to Temple for Christmas day to spend with Janece’s side of the family. It was a great visit and very relaxing. I was also able to attend a Christmas eve-eve service and one on Christmas eve. I really enjoyed that. Silent night by candle-light is one of my favorite Christmas memories and it was special to spend the holidays with my family this year.

The day after Christmas I had 2 great friends come to the lake-house. We had so much fun. The highlight of the time had to be the night Dad took us wade-fishing. I had never been and neither had Jac or Erin. So, it is a bit chilly and we are in the garage putting on these ridiculous waders/suspenders and geared up with our jackets, headlamps, and fishing poles. Meanwhile, Dad is dressed like and Eskimo and the sight of him and our excitement brought upon many giggles as we headed to the waterfront. It was such a weird feeling to have the water start to suction around your legs without getting wet. The first throw, Erin catches a fish. This gets Jac very competitive to also catch one. Unfortunately, about 10 minutes into our time fishing, I hear in a little whisper, “Nat, Nat. You have to come here. My pole just broke and half of it is in the water somewhere.” I responded that she couldn’t be serious and she said, “You have to get over here before Paul does. I can’t find my pole.” Well I found it and this happened 2 more times. Despite her determination in being the last remaining fisher-woman in the water, she came in without a fish. But, we still had enough from the weekend to have a delightful meal Sunday morning.

After the lake I caught a ride with these 2 to New Braunfels. These are 2 of the 4 girls I lived with while doing the discipleship program at camp, so it had been a long time since we had spend extended, continuous day together (6 total). I also was able to see some of my other dear friends in NB and just have some great fellowship and conversations. I can’t remember the last time I laughed so much. From rock band, to poking fun at each other, to remembering stories, to thinking of blog names for jac, to shaky face photos, to wrestling, to watching lame movies and commenting on them throughout… we laughed and laughed.




I spent New Years Eve in Austin, and went to a Mystery Dinner Theater with some lifelong friends since middle-school. I learned I am a really bad detective and don’t pick up on any clues. But it was fun to get dressed up an a new experience to bring in the new year.


Now I am currently in Midland, where my sending church is. I just got here last night and am eager to see what opportunities the Lord opens for me to share about what He has done in my life and what He is doing at LCH. I will get to be the speaker at the pizza luncheon on Sunday, so please pray that my words would boast in Him and that I would not get such a dry throat that I cannot talk (that seems to be how satan attacks me when I am speaking). Also, it is really fun that Pastor Morris and Mama Aida will be in Midland during my time here, so I will get to see them J

It wasn’t until I got to the airport yesterday to fly here to Midland that I really started to get excited about going back to Uganda. Don’t get me wrong, not that I was “not excited”. I was just enjoying my time at home. But after all my nerves were settled once getting my bags checked, passing through security, and seeing my destination on the screen at my gate, I had this great excitement and readiness to return. And appropriately so, because now the countdown is to a month until I return. I am glad to have 2 homes.







3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie,

This is yao, your Dad's coworker in San Jose, CA. We talked a lot about you, your mission, and went through you blog. I'm deeply touched by how much you did for 90 kids.

I asked all my friends once again to take out a little of their precious time to write you some encouragement.

One suggetion thought. One person complained to me that he doesn't know where to leave you a message. Is it possible for you to add a button in you blog [http://natalierolfe.blogspot.com/] for "Leave me a message". Or some kind of instruction telling people how to leave you a message.

Take care. God bless,
yao

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie,

My name is Peter De Gregorio, Yao's boy friend.

I went through you blog, and thought it was refreshing.

Good work,
Pete

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie,

My name is Qian Li, Yao's girlfriend. I read your blog, it was very inspiring, interesting and heartwarming. You have done a great job, please keep it up.

Take care,

Qian