Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Spiritual Presence

Sometimes it seems that I dont share my deeper thoughts, so here is one:

There is definitely a spiritual presence that is part of daily life here in Uganda. Much more so than in America. First off in America things of faith seem to be hidden, more so a personal faith, or one confined by the church doors. Or maybe faith is public but the absolute truth is covered by a sheet of political correctness. Always watching the words you say or how your neighbor perceives what you do. Are we, as Americans, too cautious of what everyone else will think? Is their opinion more valuable than the Lord’s? Paul writes in Romans 1:16, “for I am not ashamed of the gospel because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes.” Or maybe we are not ashamed but just don’t care enough. Maybe the fear of the Lord is not so infiltrated through us because the world and technology has allowed us to become dependant upon ourselves. We have what we need and if we don’t have it then we can go and buy it. But really where has it come from or who has given the knowledge of how to create it? Every good and perfect gift comes from above.

At the same time, I am not claiming that the spiritual presence in Uganda is the right spiritual presence. There is an openness and awareness of something bigger than ourselves. That is evident through how many churches seem to be at every other corner. And when I say church I am not necessarily meaning a concreted structure like we think of with pews and a pulpit. And when I say church I am not necessarily even meaning church because many of the thatched roof “churches” that I see might not be worshiping Jesus Christ, the ONLY savior. And the spiritual presence is allowed as a norm even through the presence of other religions, like Islam. Every few hours you hear the Muslim’s call to prayer over the loudspeaker. It is even broadcasted over the radio.

But, as I was walking today and passed by a little thatched roof “church” the overwhelming question came to me, “is this real?” Are they really worshiping the same God as me? Almost every time I pass this church there are people inside praying, usually making some loud noises, whether shouting their prayer or some sort of ordering voice. Sometimes I see a person on the ground. I definitely believe that our “struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” (Eph 6:12) But at the same time I wonder if all of the spiritual presence that is felt and allowed here is directed towards the same God? The Bible warns that some will come in Jesus’ name and will lure those into a false gospel. Where is this modern day power of healing, or casting out demons, or performing what seems to be a miracle, or speaking in tongues coming from? Is it from the great I AM? Are these people really in touch with THE savior of the world, Jesus, or is their power and prayers coming from something that is only an imitator of Jesus and meant to divert and confuse true worshippers? And if so, how alluring Satan is in his schemes because who doesn’t want to see what seems to be a miracle or healing? Yet if it is not in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ then it is a powerful and scary alternative power source.
So what I know is that although my mind is limited in understanding I have a Father above that knows all and keeps me as a hen keeps her chicks protected under her wings. The truth is there and the Lord reigns above all. I know that I am more than a conqueror through Christ Jesus and that I have an inheritance, by His grace and through my faith, that is incorruptible. So, I praise God that He has revealed and continues to reveal truth to me and that His Spirit convicts me of all unrighteousness, including false doctrine or following. I only pray for more fear, awe, and reverence of the true and living God because the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

1 comment:

Jacquline said...

Always enjoy reading your thoughts on life and things that are resting in your heart!

Thanks for sharing. Let's skype soon please!

XOXOXO.