Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Washing Feet

Washing Feet.

So bear with this random thought, but I have been pondering it for quite a while now, just not had a chance to write out my thoughts. I know you remember the story of Jesus washing his disciples’ feet, but let me remind you just incase.

So when He had washed their feet, taken His garments, and sat down again, he
said to them, “Do you know what I have done to you?” “You call Me Teacher
and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have
washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have given
you an example, that you should do as I have done to you.” – John 13:12-15

“For who is greater, he who sit at the table, or he who serves? Is it not he who sit
at the table? Yet I am among you as the One who serves.” -- Jesus in Luke 22:27


If you have grown up in church I am sure that there are different angles that you have heard the story of washing feet preached on. Overwhelmingly a lesson from this story is that Jesus did not come to the world to be served, but to serve others. Well, I am understanding a little different perspective of this story….

The dirt streets and paths of Mbale probably somewhat resemble those of the streets where Jesus and his disciples walked. There is not a day that has passed by that my feet have not been coated with a thin (or sometimes thick) coat of orangish-brown dirt. You can’t help it here. Although the roads in town are paved, the path from the school to the home is not, neither is the path leading to the house from where the van parks. What I have realized since being here are two things…

1. maybe I was not very hygienic in the states because it was only on rare occasions that I would actually scrub my feet. Usually the water coming from the shower was enough to make my feet clean (since all my pathways were paved). But here… the water doesn’t cut it. You must scrub, and I mean a hold onto the faucet handle, lift your foot up sideways, and really scrub the tops and bottoms of your feet (since I am always in sandals).

2. Everyday I am reminded of the depth of the act of service of Jesus when he washed his disciples’ feet. I would guess that their feet were even dirtier than mine. Who knows what dirt they had walked through or what animal had passed their previously. First off, to kneel down and even look at someone’s feet is a big deal for some people who don’t really like feet. But to kneel down and scrub someone else’s dirty, smelly feet is another story. Think about it. This was truly a sign of great love, devotion, closeness, and service that Jesus did for His disciples. Jesus even washed Judas Iscariot’s feet, knowing that he would betray him. I don’t know that I could easily wash my best friend’s feet after they had walked all day on dirt paths, much less to wash someone’s feet that would betray me.

All in all, I am reminded to double-check my attitude and outlook daily. Am I seeking to serve or to be served? Am I willing to humble myself for the sake of another? I pray that I would follow the example of Jesus Christ in everything I do, setting an example to believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, and in purity (1 Timothy 4:12).

So maybe next time you are showering and it comes time to scrub your feet, remember what it was like for God-made-flesh to humble himself (one of many times) and serve those around him. Praise God for practical lessons in the faith.

PS. I hope each of you who read this are doing well. Remember, if you are reading this you are staying fairly caught up with me, BUT how are you doing and what is new with you? Yes, I am talking to you. Please keep me updated on life. I will not be overwhelmed with emails so please write because I want to hear. (aggienat@hotmail.com) Thank you for praying and thank you for sharing in this faith walk with me.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome reminder...thanks Nat for the thoughts about what the Lord is showing you about humbling ourselves...Love you,
Ash

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter my love. I am praying for you and thinking about you on this great day!

I hope to talk to you soon!!!

Love you much!
Jacquline

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your insight Nat. I needed that reminder today.Happy Easter sweet friend.

Love you,
Eddie

Anonymous said...

Hey Natalie! So I found your blog through Kyle's blog...I added you to my profile. I hope that's ok. I'm so glad to hear you are doing well, and following your heart's desire. I've struggled the past year to understand mine. But, I truly believe the Lord is perfect in His timing. And, I can't wait to see what's in store for me the next couple months. I hope you're having a wonderful day, and you're in my thoughts!

Anonymous said...

I am back in town and will try to call you today.
Love Dad