Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Title Upgrade

On a daily basis I hear my name at least fifty times. But it is not my given name of, Na-tall-ee (as they pronounce it here), it is "Teacha".

Teacha, how are you? Teacha, can I have a (fill in the blank)? Teacha, so and so is disturbing me. Teacha, when are we going to (fill in the blank)? Teacha this and Teacha that.

(Don't be confused. I am the program coordinator and have been for the past 6.5 years. But when I first joined the Lulwanda family, I taught phonics to our oldest children for 2.5 years and the name "Teacha" just stuck. Even the newest family members who came last year call me that, since they hear their older siblings using the name.)

I was recently visiting some of our secondary children at their boarding school located in Mbale town. While I was walking with one of my dear boys, Josephat, he said, "Teacha..... but should I really call you teacha because it has been a long time since you have taught us? What if I call you Mum?" I told him that that title would be my greatest honor. We continued walking and after about a minute of silence he said, "But are you really worthy of being called Mum?" I replied that that was for him to decide. But that I have tried my best to be faithful to loving him and all of the other children at LCH. Later that day he called a friend over and in his introductions, Josephat said, "This is my Mum. I think you have heard me speak of Na-talie." My heart swelled with joy over this title upgrade.

Two of my sons, James (left) and Josephat (right)

Later that week, Josephat called me and asked if I was "so busy" that Saturday? After assuring him that I wasn't too busy he said, "Teacha, if  you are really my Mum then please come to a performance at school on Saturday morning and see me direct the choir." So as a proud mama, I attended the school celebration and watched my son lead the school choir in beautiful hymns and worship songs.





No comments: