Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Life in photos

I have not done a very good job at keeping up with what is happening here. Sorry. As you probably know, we have had many visitors and many activities, all while still being in the second term of school. But hopefully over the next few weeks I can post some things that I never got around to and other photos that just show life here.

I am blogging by the motto that a picture holds a thousand words. Hopefully that proves true.




Crusades: I think we have opened nearly 13 churches this summer. What that means is that American churches from all over have "sponsored" the purchasing of a piece of land somewhere in East Africa, the building of a church building, a pastors house, and sometimes a medical clinic or more, and a water well. When the American team is here, they spend M-F going hut-to-hut evangelizing and sharing about the Good news and love of Jesus Christ. They also invite the people that they meet to attend the afternoon crusades. The picture below is of a crusade. At the crusades there is loud music, dancing, people share their testimonies of what God has done in their lives, and the Gospel message is presented again. It is on Sundays, after a full week of getting to move around the community, that the new church is officially open and dedicated. One of the pastors that is trained from the Bible College in Mbale is then placed at that new church.
Mbale Town: I like Mbale. After spending a full 5 days in Kampala, hosting some friends who were looking at a leadership academy, I have grown to appreicate Mbale even more. Although there is not but 3 good restraunts to eat at and although I can't find the variety of foods or shops like I can in Kampala, Mbale is still a better place to live. It is beautiful for one thing. Not exactly the roads with potholes, but there is Mt. Wanale that I see everyday. And many people that dress in traditional wear. It also has the nice feel of a small town, in that I can always run into someone I know as I am walking around town. And Kampala traffic is so annoying and takes forever and is the hub of at least 1/4 of the world's air pollution. So, all in all, Mbale is good for me and Kampala is a nice treat to visit and eat good food (I did find a great place that served very decent quesadilla and brownie sundays and in my 5 days, I ate at this place for 5 of my 10 meals). Ha, can you tell that food is one of the main things I miss.
Here is Mbale town, from the top of an Indian restraunt.

More to come, so stay in touch.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love the pics Nat...that was a great blog...Erin came down this weekend and we got to hear more about you and your new exciting times ahead...cant wait to hear more! love you and praying for you...ash and bret

Anonymous said...

I agree Nat. I appreciate Mbale much more after suffering the traffic of Kampala. It is good to get out and have some Java's! Love you!

Eddie