Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Summer Happenings.





I had a few people call last week and I felt like I just didn't have anything really interesting to update them on. You would think, "Oh, she lives in Africa!" and that would lead itself to all sorts of amazing stories, but really life can be pretty normal here. I have a routine and have been staying VERY busy since summer teams have started to come, but nothing really noteworthy. Or maybe I am just being blind to what God is up to and doing an injustice to you for not boasting in His faithfulness. So let me try to catch you up.





Term 2 of school is in full swing. I am still busy teaching phonics to P3, P4, and P6 classes, plus some special groups.







Our Friday afternoon prayer times are still going on. These started when Nellie was sick last year and has just continued. God has done wonders in uniting us with one purpose and one love as staff and kids. It is really challenging and heart-warming to hear the prayers of these precious kids. Faith like a child in full force!!




There is also time for some playing and exploring. Last week was grasshoppers (well really every week is grasshoppers- I guess the chase never gets boring). Though this week P3 is learning about spiders and I have seen the boys hunting for them, which is a bit disturbing because today I confiscated a small turantula.



God is so so faithful. A long while back some of you prayed for baby Gift, the daughter of one of our workers, who was burned severely. Well, Praise the Lord that she is healed and now is a student in our pre-school class.




We have been practicing for netball and football (soccer) competitions. The practices are a great time for me to talk with some of the kids that are not playing and just be silly.





I also got to see my friend Nambozo (the Compassion friend of Steph Beeler) play in the Netball National Competitions for Secondary Schools.





We have also been blessed at LCH by having teams come to visit. Grace Fellowship Church came and did VBS with the kids in the afternoon. One day, as I was moving through the classes seeing them dancing, singing, learning Bible stories, and doing crafts, I was overwhelmed by how far the Lord has brought these kids. Truly, less than 4 years ago these kids had nothing to hope in for their future and lived to survive. Now, they are so blessed and have really been redeemed from darkness into light. God has and is transforming each and every one of their lives and I get to be a part of that. How awesome is the Lord, Most High!


This is Norah and Florence showing off their crafts. (This photo is for you, Monica and Jac).





This one is for my Dad. I think I told you how I have a namesake baby. Well, another Auntie here was having a baby soon and jokingly I said, "Oh, well since we have baby Natalie now we just need baby Paul, Monica, and Janece. Then my whole family will be here in Uganda." Sure enough, this is baby Paul. And everytime I see him the Aunties say, "Greet your Dad." Ha. So, Dad-- your namesake!!

BUT right when I felt like I didn't have anything exciting to update people on, then The Day of the African Child came. Last Thursday our kids marched for my second annual DotAC. Our kids carried their banner proudly among many other schools and non-profit organizations that deal with kids.
We followed a live marching band and walked a good 2 kilometers from the middle of town to a little neighborhood outside of town. The main purpose of this day is to bring awareness of the stuggles and rights of an African child. It is in memory of the kids that were killed years ago in South Africa. Many issues, such as child labor, child sacrifice, and freedom to education are brought up through songs, poems, and skits.
Our LCH kids had a chance to perform a song. After their first song, everyone liked them so much that they were called up to do another song. I was in the crowd and everyone was asking, "Who are these kids?" "Where is Lulwanda?" "Have they recorded a CD?" People were impressed. They even came up and gave money to our kids for the job well done. I was really so proud of them and realized how these kids are shining, not just in my eyes, but outside the gates of LCH. God has made them a light and has made them to shine for His glory. It was really neat to see that so evidently. Also, after the performances, a reporter from a local radio station interviewed some of our kids and they all sang a song, "I am what God says I am. I am what God says I am. I am a winner, not a loser. I am what God says I am!"
(This picture is special to me because it is one of the IChooseYou girls who goes to Covenant Primary School giving money in appreciation to our LCH kids)

Jarod (the tall one) has done a great job producing original music and teaching our children not only how to sing it but also how to play it. David Lucky played the song "live" in front of all the people. I was so proud, once again.


So, maybe there are things going on but I have just failed to take the time to tell you about it. Thank you for reading this and being an accountablity to me to keep my blog up to date. It helps me to process (and document) what God is doing in my life, the kids life, and in Uganda in general. I love you and appreciate your continuous prayers.

2 comments:

cathy said...

OMG! I am so proud of them too!!

How I wish the DOT AC could have been while we were there!! The children are a true blessing and I am very proud of Jared. Great will be his reward in heaven!! I love the banner.

They sang that song for us, "I am who God says I am."
Thanks for updating the blog. I am sending it to all our team so they can get another Lulwanda fix!

Kimo said...

Natty! Please don't apologize for not having anything "interesting" to say. It's just so great to get to hear your voice! I miss you tons, but know that you're doing the Lord's work. Love you!

Kimio