Pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father is this : to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world. -James 1:27

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

A few moments...

Just a few moments…

Well, the long awaited day has arrived. Throughout my whole seasons of Uganda, there have been a handful of times that when President Musevinni (sp?) has come to Mbale. Usually I only see the preparation of Ugandan flags hung on every light post or the banana stems (the whole “tree” trunk and leaves) posted in various places for decoration. I have even had a few times that I have driven through the excited mob of people, wearing matching Tshirts, with all sorts of objects that can make noise. BUT never had I seen him or even been in town when he passed through (usually I have been at LCH).

Well, this all changed last week. I knew he was around. Betty (a worker at LCH) even joked that since he was stopping at a nearby school for the deaf, he might make his way up the hill to LCH. But, I didn’t know when he was passing by. So, one great day I was at Noah’s Arc- the family restaurant- and I hear sirens for a police car (which is rare to hear). So, I move to the street and see a man with a megaphone shouting, “Make way. The President, Musevenni, is coming. See here the honorable president of Uganda, Musevenni.” Then there was a police truck and then him. He was standing out of the sunroof of a four-runner waving to the crowd. There were 4 men running, I guess as guards, alongside the car. But surprisingly no-one was shouting or cheering when he passed by. But all in all, I was glad to have seen the President. I even got it on video. But apparently his people were not to happy because one saw me from the car and made a grumbling face. Whereas in my video you can hear my friend say, “Cut it. Put it down. Not happy.” And the camera scans to my feet. Ha.

The happening that made me laugh this weekend was when I was at a hotel restaurant with Glenn. We were reading and having a snack and a family, with two young girls, came and sat at the table right next to us. A little strange since the whole area was free, but it was ok. Until the older little girl started making lots of loud noises. Not complaining or crying, but just talking really loud and saying things to get her parent’s attention. At one point, the dad even asked her if she thought this was home for her to be so loud. But he didn’t make her stop.

Earlier I had tried to befriend her when she was just walking around, but I guess she was feeling shy. But as she kept making noise back at the table, I turned and made a funny face at her. Then I pointed at her and motioned to keep quiet with my finger over my mouth. This has worked in the past with some kids, maybe just because they fear me as a Mzungu. But this little girl was unfazed. The next thing I hear is, “Mommy! This one is disturbing me!” and she pointed right at me! Ha. Glenn looked at me and laughed that this little girl was reporting me to the mother! All I could do is laugh too and the Dad was not offended and said something to the effect that she should have greeted auntie (me) then. You never know with little kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kids are funny that is for sure...thanks for the stories Nat...thats cool you got to the see the President...we are praying for you. Miss you and love you!! Ash and Bret